Monday, August 18, 2008

DINNER @ TAMAN SELERA MUHIBAH, JALAN PEDADA, SIBU

Venison With Chillies And Onions

It's was a Zi-Char dinner at this open-air (alfresco) hawker center courtyard on the outskirt of town. I didn't even know this place exists even though I pass by this route numerous times. We ordered our food from stall 38. Nothing out of the ordinary here... usual fare. Can't complain much as it was RM25 for 4 dishes with 3 plates of rice.



Fried Kailan With Mushroom and Woodear

Thai Inspired Chicken

Simple Fried Lady's Fingers (Okra)

But then the Zi-Char is a mere distraction for the main item we came to sample - Foochow dried squid Tofu soup. It's a specialty from stall 11, which is actually a drinks stall manned by Ah Kok. Those not in the know would have missed on on it.

It's a simple slow simmer soup with the neutral taste tofu absorbing the pungent aroma of the dried squid. It's a love-hate affair... my first encounter was when my housemate at Elm Drive (not Elm Street, mind you), Lay Sing, stank the whole house with the pong. Since then I've acquire a taste for it.


Another surprise to be had from this stall 11 is its Kompia (Foochow bagel) with stuffed pork belly. Yup, you didn't read wrongly... braised pork belly. Not the minced pork type, although he has that too.

Unfortunately, Ah Kok ran out of Kompia; it was just after 7, and started his day at 5 in the afternoon. But no worry, he obligingly scoured some Kompia from the nearby stall. For those of you hankering for Ah Pek's Kompia from Hoe Ping Road, this is as close as you can get to the original (maybe lacking garlic a bit). Far better than the Tiong Hua Road's Teochew lady's. The Kompia is crunchy toasted... seems like old times!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like stall no. 7 especially the pork belly fried with salted fish and dried chilli. The braised chicken feet's very popular but l don't eat that. The Foochow fried mee is also nice. I hear they were at that wooden stall on stilts along Channel Road, near Pulau Babi...during my younger days - suituapui

Kong-Kay said...

dunno most of the stalls, so it's all up to friends' recommendation. the only stall i know from channel road is the loh-mee lady; sadly she's no longer with us.

Anonymous said...

I was taken to this place by a friend a few months back. The kampua mee (the stall is the third one - if my memory doesn't fail me - to your right as you enter)is said to be the best in Sibu wor. Don't know how true though.

Kong-Kay said...

i think everyone's favorite is the best in town... there's no way to judge; some like it soft (the longer it boils in the water the better), whereas others prefer al dente. what do you think about the kampua yourself?

suituapui said...

That kampua stall was given special mention in one of those food mags, but I've yet to try it. Heard it isn't that great. Btw, kongkay, I've a link from my most recent post to ur blog. I could not link post to post the way I did with posts in other blogs eg. sixthseal.

Kong-Kay said...

we'll try it the next time i'm in town. thanks for the link. won't be able to reply on comments for the next few days.

Anonymous said...

Mr Double_K, I think the kampua is the best I've eaten lor. Forgot to mention, I also had some kong pia, but I'm not sure now if they were from the same stall you mentioned.

cooknengr said...

Does Ah Pek have the same bitchy attitude as the Teochew lady...

Kong-Kay said...

does someone who goes to the neighbor to borrow some kampua to accommodate his customers seem to have an attitude to you, cooknengr?

bongkersz said...

Kompia.. argh! I didn't manage to chow down any kompia when I went back that day.

Now I wonder.. in Miri, any place selling it? I need a fix. Let me do some search.. starting from this blog's entries.

HAHA!

Kong-Kay said...

dunno much 'bout mili, lay!

ABOUT THIS BLOG

As the name implies, it's all about nothing! Kongkaying is like grasping in the air - more like hot air with occasional fartulence. Hopefully, something aromatic will come out of it! If not...

May the Farce be With You!

BAG OF TRICKS

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP