Friday, September 04, 2009

BAK MUAY (PORK PORRIDGE) @ SONG HIN PORK PORRIDGE, JALAN KHOO HEANG YUN, KUCHING


I always kaw-kuang (patronize) the fat lady's Teochew Bak-Muay whenever I have a late supper. By accident that I discovered this pork porridge; one of those nights I manage to find a parking space in the middle bay separating the 2 open-air eateries. The moment I stepped onto the back portion of the eatery, a man beckoned me to have Bak-Muay that, and so I did! And this time was my second visit.

Be warned... this porridge is piping hot! They use those high-pressured gas rings at full blast, and the pre-cooked porridge with the raw meats are cooked in under a minute. Scorch the cavity walls of the mouth a few times too many!


This is truly Teochew Muay as you can see the each grain of the rice . I took me some time getting used to it, and I'm loving every morsel of it. Notice the liver still has blood oozing out... it's a sure sign that it's still soft and tender; just dip it beneath the pile of porridge and it'll be cooked in no time.

I think it's standard, if you don't request for anything else, the porridge comes with minced pork balls and liver only. I overheard the next table's request for the macam-macam (this-and-that), which I think I'll be opting for the next time to see else they've got up their sleeves. The order with the century egg (top) is outside the scope of a normal order, which comes with the optional raw egg cracked into the bowl to be slowly poached by the heat of the porridge.

10 comments:

albusperi said...

Oh yummy. I love bak moi, but I'm very particular about the texture of the rice grains. This one looks good though. How much is it per bowl? Have you tried the one at Tabuan Jaya? The same place where you had the prawn noodles. It's the stall behind Suan's Chicken Rice. The bak moi is good too.

Kong-Kay said...

tabuan jaya is purely prawn noodles... i've the lau-ya-khieng's most mornings, so anywhere else's moi in the vicinity on my tabuan jaya's day-eat-out is out of the question.

price is something i never bother to ask, and is seldom a feature on the blog. if the prices are out of the ordinary and don't commensurate its taste, i'll gripe.

The Wordsmith said...

Hmmm. Looks scrumplicious.

Kong-Kay said...

just bumped into cookin' engineer and fish2 at lee cafe, ban hock road. small world!

The Wordsmith said...

The bak moi at Expert BDC is not bad too.

Kong-Kay said...

hmmm, i seldom go that direction for breakfast or supper. lunch and dinner, yes. will try one of these days.
do you know where the first zi-char at the back kitchenhas moved to? used to have wonderful tak-tang (bamboo clams) noodle soup.

sibu food diva said...

been here, nice. but it isn't as nice as the one in Sibu Central Market.

Kong-Kay said...

central market has several selling bak muay, so which one are you referring to? can't be everyone is good. i remember the ah pek by the roadside next to the soprano's shop was good, what's it called now up in the market?

sibu food diva said...

uncle, the ah pek has gone to heaven. am in sibu now, will check out and let you know soon.

Kong-Kay said...

no need to uncle; your aunty told me the story... i thought you knew long ago.

ABOUT THIS BLOG

As the name implies, it's all about nothing! Kongkaying is like grasping in the air - more like hot air with occasional fartulence. Hopefully, something aromatic will come out of it! If not...

May the Farce be With You!

BAG OF TRICKS

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP