Friday, January 08, 2010

MUST HAVE KAMPUA @ LIAN YEW CAFÉ, ISLAND ROAD, SIBU


This is the de facto kampua whenever I'm in town; preference is subjective, but having this as far as I can remember, it's the undisputed best in town, according to my book. It used to kampua "pan-lak" (with chilli sauce) in the old days, these days kampua eng tau-eu (with dark soy sauce) is the order of the day.

Having breakfast here for 3 mornings, the owner (kampuarista) still fogs-up the order twice: chillied kampua instead of the black stuff, and plain pian nik (dry wonton) instead of chillied mix. The kampua above is a redux. Even the barista is familiar with my Kopi-O Peng Mien-Tai (whatever that means, it's iced espresso with less sugar) even before I utter a word.


The pig's liver soup (above) used to be great once, but somehow it has lost its lustre. It's not as 'cloudy' (hot soup over raw liver in a bowl) as before. But still it tastes great after an additional splash of Chinese red wine and a bit a light soy sauce. The pian-nik below is for Pig-Out Day!

* This is not the wonton I'm talking 'bout, Nate!

2 comments:

Borneoboy said...

Hi Mike. You are making me drool. Wish I am in Sibu now.

Kong-Kay said...

there are some pretty good ones in kuching too.

ABOUT THIS BLOG

As the name implies, it's all about nothing! Kongkaying is like grasping in the air - more like hot air with occasional fartulence. Hopefully, something aromatic will come out of it! If not...

May the Farce be With You!

BAG OF TRICKS

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP